Beating Tubular Locks without Damage

Tubular locks are used on many things. What is a wonder, is that they're used in areas where high security is required. The wonder I mention, is that I learned to beat a tubular lock before I entered 7th grade!

Well, the theory here is that tension must be kept on the lock, whilst the pins are being depressed. The theory is simple, but in practice, it is more complicated than that.

Bend a precision screwdriver for a tension wrench. This will work only with high quality stuff, as the cheap crap will only break. Unfold a jumbo paperclip.

To beat it, find the part of the lock where the slit goes both inside the tube and outside the tube. Place your tension wrench there. Use light-moderate tension and depress the pins with your paperclip. With enough practice, a lock of this variety will open.

Practice routinely, without TV, music, or distractions. And I mean none, not even if your little brother lands a flatground 360-flip on his skateboard. Concentrate entirely on the lock you are trying to defeat. Try to envision what is going on inside the lock, how it is responding to your play. Exercises in this will allow to pop one open in a few seconds, no matter what they say.

1 comment:

Hermit said...

hi..... great writing on tubular locks, but can you send me ppictures on steps with percision screwdrivers as your tension wrench??? I have done a couple of research and people use home made lock picks that resembles the original lock, and it does look like the key used for the lockpick was from a different tubular lock. I've read a couple about the two pronged tension wrench which is a bit more logical, but now that i have read your article, I wanted to learn it your way since the tools are simple and the process of unlocking seems clean. I knnow it will take much practice, but I do believe that with time and practice, unlocking a tubular will be an easy process that only matters in seconds.